The Digital Scholarship Lab:
- Welcomes everyone from any discipline or level of experience
- Nurtures interdisciplinarity by serving as a crossroads for collaboration as people from across disciplines meet and learn from one another
- Provides professional help and camaraderie for using technology in research and learning (for example: help with software, data management, brainstorming project development)
- Generates projects through the intersection of people, space, and technology
A partnership between the Michigan State University Libraries and the College of Arts & Letters, the Digital Scholarship Lab is an 8,000-square-foot space in the Main Library, featuring a 360-degree immersive visualization room that accommodates up to 20 students along with a Virtual Reality room for experimentation with VR headsets. The Digital Scholarship Lab opened on February 5th, 2018.
The lab includes dedicated lab space and informal gathering areas to facilitate cross-disciplinary collaboration. Students in every major may use the advanced and graphics-intensive computing software and interactive visualization for research projects and scholarly exploration. Offering extended hours, including nights and weekends, to accommodate the realities of student life, this space is unique among specialized computing spaces on campus.
The Digital Scholarship Lab is available to faculty to support their research and promote innovative instruction. Librarians and faculty partners across disciplines will promote a wide range of research endeavors through consultation, advising, workshops, and instruction sessions. The lab brings collections, resources, tools, and expertise together.
The Lab is adjacent to Hollander MakeCentral on the second floor of the Main Library’s west wing, extending the MSU Libraries’ support for emerging technologies for teaching and learning across disciplines.
- Monday – Thursday, 9 am – 11 pm
- Friday, 9 am – 6 pm
- Saturday, 11 am – 6 pm
- Sunday, 11 am – 11 pm
Wednesdays, 2 – 3 pm
Make sure to double-check the Main Library’s calendar, as the Library is closed on University Holidays.