HASTAC Scholars – Call for applicants
Digital Humanities in the College of Arts and Letters is pleased to support a number of HASTAC Scholars for the 2017-2019 academic years.
Deadline for applications: October 3
Announcement of Award: October 11
Are you an undergraduate or graduate student engaged with innovative projects and research at the intersection of digital media and learning, 21st-century education, and technology in the arts, humanities and sciences? Would you like to join an international conversation about the digital humanities? If so, you are invited to apply for the opportunity to become a 2017-2019 HASTAC scholar. As a Scholar, you will represent Michigan State University in HASTAC’s prestigious, online community. Successful candidates will each receive a $300 scholarship or travel reimbursement from the Digital Humanities Program in the College of Arts and Letters each year for two years.
HASTAC (pronounced “haystack”), which stands for Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Advanced Collaboratory, is an interdisciplinary, international network of undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, as well as librarians, archivists, museum curators, publishers, and IT specialists. Members of the HASTAC community blog, host forums, organize events, and discuss new ideas, projects, and technologies that reconceive teaching, learning, research, writing and structuring knowledge. For more information about HASTAC Scholars and to see their discussion forums, please see the HASTAC Scholars website and also this page.
You need to apply via this application before you apply on the HASTAC Scholars website. This is how we know who we can fund and is required.
Successful candidates will:
- Remain in good standing with the university.
- Be an active participant in the Digital Humanities community at MSU by attending one or more events each semester related to the digital humanities, including workshops, speakers, socials.
- Frequently engage, according to your interests and abilities, in the discussions taking place on the HASTAC website, as well as related events taking place during the year.
- Between Sept. and May each year, contribute no fewer than two posts per semester to the HASTAC Scholars blog.
- Report your activities at least once a semester to the faculty or academic staff mentor assigned to you.
Applications will be evaluated based on the student’s activities in the areas of digital humanities technology, research, pedagogy and service to the community. Highly motivated students with limited exposure to the digital humanities are encouraged to apply. This opportunity is an excellent way to learn more about digital media and practices.
In the application, please answer the following the questions:
- Why do you want to become a HASTAC Scholar? What strengths, interests, and experience can you contribute to the HASTAC community?
- How will being a HASTAC Scholar support your current work (coursework, teaching, and/or research) at MSU?
Your application must include the name and contact information of a faculty or academic staff member willing to serve as your sponsor and mentor. Please also state your academic department and undergraduate/graduate status.
Send applications and recommendations as Word Documents to Kristen Mapes, email@example.com, with “YOURLASTNAME-HASTAC APP” as the subject line. Applications are due no later than 5:00 PM, October 3, 2017. Members of the CAL Digital Humanities Steering Committee will review applications, and the Scholars will be announced no later than October 11. Selected scholars should make an application at the HASTAC website by October 15. Details for that procedure will follow if you are selected.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!