Thursday, August 27, 2020
DH@MSU is continuing an annual (FREE) THATCamp each August targeted at MSU faculty, staff, and students for a few reasons:
- To bring people back together (virtually) after the summer
- To introduce new folks to the DH@MSU community
- Share knowledge, expertise, and skills among the community
- Build connections between community members for future collaborations, troubleshooting, and ice cream breaks
- Identify needs for and interest in future activities
All times are Eastern Daylight Time
- 9:30 – 10:00 – Intro to THATCamp and Intro to DH@MSU
- 10:00 – 10:15 – Voting and Session Signups
- 10:15 – 10:45 – Virtual meet and greet
- 11:00 – 12:15 – Session 1
- 12:15 – 1:15 – Lunch break
- 1:15 – 2:15 – Session 2
- 2:30 – 3:15 – Session 3
- 3:15 – 3:45 – DH Project Showcase, report out, and awards
How it will work
Virtual Meet and Greet
Using breakout rooms, we will have 3 short meet and greet opportunities. This means that groups of 4-6 will be gathered in a breakout room to introduce themselves and answer a question prompt for ~7 minutes and then will be reshuffled into another room for ~7 minutes with different people.
Over the course of the day, there are three different session sections, of slightly varying length (75 minutes, 60 minutes, 45 minutes). During each of these session times, there will be up to 4 concurrent sessions running that participants can choose among.
These sessions will be proposed or requested by THATCamp participants at the time of registration or via email after registration but before the day of the event.
Session types may be:
- Workshop – one or more people teach about a particular tool or method
- Discussion – one or more people lead a discussion on a method, topic, or issue
- Show and Tell – an individual or group showcases a project and explains how it was created, what went into it, including the technology, etc (this type of session may also group together 1-3 project show and tells)
On the morning of THATCamp, participants will be asked to vote for the sessions that most interest them, and the sessions with the most votes will be slotted into the schedule.
Immediately after the voting, participants will be asked to fill out a form, signing up for the sessions that most interest them throughout the day.
DH Project Showcase
Opportunity for participants to share out about a project (or projects) at any stage of development through very short (60 second) lightning presentations.
Participants are encouraged to sign up in advance to share out about projects through the registration form.